Victoria’s mum Abbie writes,
“At one of my midwife appointments, I saw two different midwives. A senior midwife and a student. They did my appointment as my usual midwife would have done, however when they checked my urine sample the senior midwife said to me there was an abnormality. However, since I had no symptoms of an infection and said no to every question she asked me, they both said to just keep an eye on it and to retest at my next midwife appointment.
Fast forward about three days later I started to bleed. I was rushed through to Scarborough hospital and everything was fine (just worked too hard apparently). One of the midwives there was unhappy with her urine sample and asked if she could redo. I agreed and 45 minutes later I was told I had an infection and to go home.
I did that, a day later I got a call from my pharmacy to tell me that I had a prescription waiting for me. Now, I didn’t know what it was as they didn’t tell me what it was for nor did anyone else. So I waited a week for my next midwife appointment and then asked her. She was in absolute shock that no one had spoken to me about it. She explained I had tested positive for group B Strep and that I had antibiotics to take. She then gave me a leaflet. Later on, when I gave birth in Scarborough hospital, I was on an IV drip to in their words, “protect my baby”.
I’m very, very lucky that my beautiful baby girl didn’t catch group B Strep infection or have any infections at all when she was born, however, I wanted to share my story because its only NOW that my daughter is almost two years old, that I know what group B Strep is and just how dangerous it can be.”