Bobby’s mum Julie writes,
“My baby boy was born on the 7/9/18 at 00:50 and it was the happiest day of my life, for a few hours, but then my world came crashing down. I noticed he was breathing funny, however, as a first-time Mum, I didn’t know how newborn babies breathed. He wouldn’t feed and he couldn’t settle. After a couple of hours, a midwife came in to see me and said do you mind if I take him for some tests. This midwife I owe everything to, and can never ever thank her enough.
By 5:00am he was taken down to neonatal and had blood tests and X-rays etc etc and when I went down a few hours later after some sleep I was very shocked. He then went on to have numerous tests, a lumbar puncture at 24 hours old and he was also in an incubator. Following the tests, it was confirmed he had group B Strep infection. I was unaware what it was and was too scared to Google, read leaflets or research at all. However, I am now aware of how seriously poorly my baby was.
He was in hospital for 2 weeks on antibiotics, had heart scans, chest scans, bloods – God knows how many times a day. His breathing was checked constantly, and it was the worst experience ever for me.
He is now a happy, healthy nearly 3-year-old and I count my blessings every day I look at him. If I was to do it all again, I would definitely have got tested, if it was an option. I wouldn’t take the chance to put myself, my family or my precious baby through it all again.”