Group B Strep Support is a UK charity working to stop group B Strep (GBS) infection in babies. We educate the public, doctors and midwives about group B Strep and provide information and support to affected families.
On average in the UK, every month
- 66 babies are diagnosed with group B Strep infection
- 40 early-onset + 26 late-onset GBS infection
- 56 babies make a full recovery
- 35 early-onset + 21 late-onset GBS infection
- 6 babies survive with long-term physical or mental disabilities
- 3 early-onset + 3 late-onset GBS infection
- 4 babies die from their group B Strep infection
- 2 early-onset + 2 late-onset GBS infection
Our vision is for:
- All pregnant women to be informed about group B Strep.
- All pregnant women to be offered the opportunity of a GBS-specific test late in pregnancy as part of their antenatal care, with the results of these tests used to inform further treatment, if any, to minimise the risk of GBS infection in the newborn baby
- All new parents to be informed about the key signs of group B Strep infection in babies to empower them to seek vital early treatment which can saves lives.
One day, a maternal vaccination will prevent more cases of GBS infection, including preventing preterm labour and stillbirths caused by GBS infection, post-delivery GBS infection in the mother and late-onset GBS infection in the baby. Vaccination would also avoid allergic reactions to the recommended antibiotics and concern about the emergence of antibiotic-resistant bacteria. Investment into developing a vaccine against GBS infection should be prioritised.
We provide confidential support and information to families and professionals. Our helpline provides general information for guidance on group B Strep.
We do not give advice, nor counselling or a diagnosis. If you need medical advice, please contact your health care providers.
We will do everything we can to make you feel comfortable, to listen and understand and to answer any questions you may have.
If you have any questions about Group B Strep, please call our helpline
0330 120 0796
Or email us at email@example.com
Support for families
We are dedicated to providing help and support to families, especially parents, suffering from the devastating consequences of group B Strep infection. We help new and expectant parents wanting more information about group B Strep, testing and how to reduce the risk of group B strep infection for their baby.
Your charity provided me with the priceless information and support when I was pregnant with my youngest daughter for which i will be forever grateful.Luisa
Support for professionals
We are supported by an eminent and dedicated medical advisory panel. The charity provides free up-to-date and accurate medical information about GBS to health professionals involved in maternity care. We are the main provider of patient information on group B strep in the UK and attend training days to talk with health professionals involved in maternity care.
Leaflets & Posters Bulk Order form
Leaflets & Posters Bulk Order form
Bulk orders of leaflets and posters are available without charge to the NHS. Please complete the details below. If you have any questions, contact us on 0330 120 0795 weekdays…
We save lives through awareness and education, giving new and expectant parents and healthcare professionals free up-to-date accurate information about group B Strep.
Campaigns and Research
We campaign to improve awareness of group B Strep infection and for the introduction of effective and accurate testing. The charity actively supports that looks at new and enhances existing ways to prevent group B Strep infection in babies’.