NHS 2017-01-11T18:39:18+00:00

Sometimes things go wrong and nothing could have been done to prevent it.Sometimes that’s not true. Either way, sometimes we can all learn from mistakes that have been made.

If you want the NHS to investigate your situation, to give an apology, an explanation and/or assurances that it won’t happen to others, then putting your complaint in writing to them is one way to start.

  • If you would like information on how to complain about the NHS including information about the NHS Complaints procedure, click on this link or look on the website for your hospital
  • If you would like to see if your complaint can be looked into by the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman, then click here

If you’d like advice and support about complaining about the NHS, then there are different arrangements in different parts of the UK:


Patient Advice and Liaison service (PALS)

The Patient Advice and Liaison Service gives immediate help and advice on dealing with any problems patients may have while in hospital. Ask a member of staff in the hospital for the contact details of the PALS office; there should be one based within the hospital itself.

Independent Complaints Advocacy Service (ICAS)

The Independent Complaints Advocacy Service (ICAS) is an independent service which can help you to make a complaint about the NHS. Your PALS office will be able to give you contact details or you can contact them directly yourself. The telephone numbers for regional ICAS offices are:

North Central London (Barnet; Camden; Haringey: Enfield; Islington) 0845 120 3784
North East London (Barking and Dagenham; Hackney; Havering; Tower Hamlets; Redbridge; Waltham Forest; Newham) 0845 337 3059
North West London (Brent; Ealing; Hillingdon; Hounslow; Westminster; Kensington and Chelsea; Hammersmith and Fulham; Harrow) 0845 337 3065
South East London(Bexley; Bromley; Greenwich; Lambeth; Lewisham; Southwark) 0845 337 3061
South West London (Croydon; Kingston-upon-Thames; Richmond; Sutton; Merton; Wandsworth)) 0845 337 3063
South East 0845 600 8616
Eastern (Beds and Herts) 0845 456 1082
Eastern (Cambs, Norfolk, Suffolk) 0845 456 1084
Eastern (Essex) 0845 456 1083
South West 0845 120 3782
West Midlands (Birmingham; the Black Country 0845 120 3748
West Midlands (Shropshire; Staffordshire) 0845 337 3054
West Midlands (Coventry; Warwickshire; Worcestershire; Herefordshire) 0845 337 3056
East Midlands 0845 650 0088
North East 0808 802 3000
North West 0845 120 3735
Yorkshire/Humberside 0845 120 3734


NHS boards in Scotland

NHS Ayrshire and Arran 01292 885800
NHS Borders 01896 825500
NHS Dumfries and Galloway 01387 246246
NHS Fife 01592 643355
NHS Forth Valley 01786 463031
NHS Grampian 0845 456 6000
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde 0141 201 4444
NHS Highland 01463 717123
NHS Lanarkshire 01698 281313
NHS Lothian 0131 536 9000
NHS Orkney 01856 888000
NHS Shetland 01595 743060
NHS Tayside 01382 818 479
NHS Western Isles 01851 702997

Health Rights Information Scotland produce information for patients about their rights and how to use the NHS service.

Health Rights Information Scotland, Scottish Consumer Council, Royal Exchange House, 100 Queen Street, Glasgow G1 3DN.Tel: 0141 226 5261Web: www.hris.org.uk


Community Health Councils

Ask a member of staff in the hospital for the address and phone number of your Community Health Council, or contact:

Board of Community Health Councils in Wales
Park House, Greyfriars Road, Cardiff CF10 3AF.Tel: 0845 644 7814

Northern Ireland

Health and social services council – Call the freephone number 0800 917 0222 to be put through to your local health and social services council.

Citizens Advice Bureau

England, Wales, Scotland & Northern Ireland

Contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau for independent advice on making complaints about the NHS.Check your phone book for details or search for your nearest branch online.
For England & Wales – click on this link
For Scotland – click on this link
For Northern Ireland – click on this link